Sunday, December 28, 2008

YAY or NAY: 2008 year in review


Reviewing everything for 2008.

(YAY) last.fm: It never ceases to amaze me how many amazing artists last.fm is able to recommend to me. They have done an amazing job of keeping the site in a constant state of upgrade. This year it has become much prettier and as useful as ever. KEEP IT UP! And also thank you for finding me more top-notch free mp3s than I even have time to listen to.

(YAY) RSS:
I never used any sort of RSS things before this year. I'm very glad I looked into it. I love being able to subscribe to website updates, and have things that people can subscribe to. Making posts through RSS makes it so easy to make each post show up in multiple places (blogger, last.fm, website...) all at once. LOVE IT

(YAY) Google / Chrome / Reader / Gmail:
I didn't really start using Gmail until this year because my school took it over as the default email client. I like it a lot. Chrome, I'm not absolutely decided on. It doesn't really seem any better than Firefox, except that it opens quicker. Reader is great as well, I'm glad I started using it.

(NAY) LG:
the first edition Verizon LG Chocolate Phone was a rather terrible phone. I had to get it replaced like 3 times. This month it stopped functioning completely. Nice job failing.

(YAY) LG: the new Verizon LG enV2 phone is a rather great phone. I'm very happy with it. [edit: this phone seems to delete all my "Notes" for no apparently reason every few days. It's very annoying. So the phones NOT SO PERFECT]

(NAY) Verizon: thanks for boosting all of the cell phone prices up 50 dollars for Christmas right when I went to buy my new phone after your other one broke on me for no reason.

(YAY) Feedburner:
another side-project of Google. Go google!

(YAY) Blogger

(NAY) YTMND.com:
I liked it a lot for the past 2 years up until about 2 months ago. The featured users section being gone isn't the problem, it's just the fact that I was removed as a featured user even though my site scores clearly showed that I deserved to be. That made me a bit bitter. I don't want to make content for a site where the owner doesn't like what I'm doing.

(NAY) Windows Vista:
It seems for the most part that Vista hasn't given me much too many problems, but it seems like more recently it has been bugging me.

(YAY) Wii / Nintendo / Super Smash Bros. Brawl: I don't tend to like games too much anymore. Most of them are just unable to interest me. But Brawl is endlessly entertaining, and Super Mario Galaxy is much better than I thought it would be.

(YAY) Guitar Hero: Didn't really play it until this year, I LOVE IT.

(YAY) Valve: Great company. I hope they never stop churning out great games. Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half Life 2 are still great! I'd like to Left 4 Dead not only for how great I hear it is, but just based on the company's reputation.

(MEH) Dell: I'm very happy with my Dell laptop I've had for about a year and a half. But I have had some huge issues with a few things. It took Dell an entire year to come out with a proper device driver for my video card (it's Dell's responsibility to come out with drivers for mobile cards, not nVidia's). The card kept failing up until this update. Also, the Dell website is very frustrating to navigate.

(NAY) Myspace: I'm surprised how many people ask me for my myspace address. I feel like it has really fallen out of fashion. I know that I haven't updated anything on mine for years.

(YAY) Facebook: Good.

(NAY) Reading: I hate reading

(MEH) Macintosh / Apple: My iPod still functions as it should. A plus for Apple! I've had to deal with Macs a lot more this year than any other time in my life, and I still have to say I don't like them. They are getting a little more useable with how they are starting to accept that a RIGHT-CLICK is totally necessary and other stuff like that. Another thing that has brought them a little closer to competing with Windows is that Vista is pretty bad. But, they still crash way more than Mac users let on. And all there software that everyone raves about is terrible. Final Cut is TERRIBLE! Final Cut is terrible terrible terrible. It's not completely unusable, but there is no way it should be some sort of industry standard like it is. And Garageband is not only terrible, but it actually is unusable.

(MEH) Twitter: I can't decide if I like it or hate it.

(MEH) Firefox: Seems like it has been crashing A LOT lately. This might be Vista's fault, but it never used to happen. Other than that Firefox is very good, a lot better than IE.

(YAY) Youtube: Just good. I love the new HD quality. But also it seems like uploading has become harder. The new "beta uploader" never completes, even if the video has been put into your video list. I just keep on canceling after the video seems like it has been uploaded and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

10 comments:

ReanimationXP said...

i agree with everything said above. winpost.

Betabot said...

When windows gives you lemons, you switch to linux. :D

ReanimationXP said...

No, you switch back to XP.

Betabot said...

yes, but XP still slows over time. Viruses, Malware, and Spyware plague windows users. I might actually use windows if it wasn't so slow.

ReanimationXP said...

works fine for me.

course linux is fast.. it can't run anything. maybe if it actually ran a commercial package, or maybe a game or two, it'd be worth putting up with.

jk no it wouldn't

Betabot said...

I realize this is not the time or place for a flame war, so this will be my last post. I can run all of my games faster through wine in many cases than through windows (TF2, HL2, Crysis is getting there with 1-2fps slower). And all applications that you could ever want are free and open to use. I have never had a problem with needing to run something linux can't (and almost always if it can't there is an open alternative that is just as good or better). Maybe if there wasn't the irony of us using a linux server to communicate right now I would hold less ground here (Google is 100% linux servers). The point I am trying to make here is that linux is finally becoming a feasible alternative to windows. If you have been noticing, many netbooks and even some home computers are starting to come pre-installed with linux (usually ubuntu linux). Dell's CEO uses ubuntu on his personal computers as well. Anyway, there are no disadvantages anymore. Just a lot of green to be saved.

keatonkeaton999 said...

LOL ARGUMENT

ReanimationXP said...

rofl i was waiting for that ^^

nobody refutes that nix is better as a server. everyone but fanboys would refute that it's not completely terrible for most end users. i'm a network admin and i know my stuff, but i'm not gonna waste any time dicking with wine to run everything i want to use. if you want to run windows apps.. run windows. both have downfalls but anyone who claims linux is as well suited as windows for a desktop computer is clearly confused. also windows has never personally cost me a dime :)

in other news.. i now want to write a rap song

not gonna waste my time.. dickin with wine,
to run windows apps without spendin a dime FOOL :D

Darren said...

Thanks for helping me decide to never get a mac. I hear you on the ytmnd thing; your stuff has character. Vista has been smooth sailing for me (after initial suffering), but Dell customer service makes me want to cry.

mjshdiif said...

wear from a shop which is open to the fact that the footwear could be returned. One should wear the heels for a while before decide that one would like to go along with the same or not. The ones purchasedchristian louboutin Salefrom the real market might not have that kind of luxury available but, if these are purchased online, especially the replicas, that flexibility would be there. The same could be checked reading t

would not, even if is waiting downstairs, you say, I don't go to your house, I am afraid you mom and Dad, do you remember --"" They fight frequently to some very small things, Xi jue." She smiled. She slowly said, is the past, a pile, a piece of, she could remember anything. Every little bit, she is deep humiliation.Zheng music this time very hard from her arms stuck his head:" brother, brother, f

auction of goods to let you down." See tableChristian Louboutin Dorsay of human meaning, the auctioneer doesn't mind temporarily act as a " pimp". He turned toward the flower to go, pinch her round jaw:" face is impeccable, the body will definitely let you satisfied with the." The voice is not settled, another hand has seized the flower to wear white robes at the front, with a hard shove, white robe has shattered to pieces

(1999)). When a claimant sues for trade mark infringement, the defendant then bears the burden to rebut the presumption of the mark's validity. Where a claimant is successful in showing that the mark is validChristian Louboutin Mary Janesand there is a likelihood of confusion, the defendant can still invoke a defence that the mark is functional (Stormy Clime v ProGroup (1987)) and again the burden of proof is on the defendan